However, there is still a long road to travel for cloud service providers as 55 percent of those polled in Strategy Analytics’s survey hadn’t ever used a cloud media service at all.
Other important findings
- Usage of cloud storage is heavily skewed towards younger people
- Apple’s service is the only one with more female than male users
- Google’s is the one most heavily skewed towards males
- Cloud storage is overwhelmingly dominated by music
- around 90% of Apple, Amazon and Google’s cloud users store music
- Dropbox has no associated content ecosystem, yet 45 per cent of its users store music files
Apple announced in January 2013 that iCloud had passed the 250 million user mark, while Dropbox announced in November 2012 that it had reached a milestone of 100 million users. Google and Amazon haven’t shared any official numbers for their respective cloud storage solutions.