A Parent’s Guide To Holle Baby Formula
Holle is not only one of Europe’s largest and most popular infant formula producers. It’s also one of the industry pioneers. The company has been operating for almost a century, having been launched in the 1930s in Switzerland. Ever since then it’s been continually developing its reputation for creating premium quality infant foods utilizing sustainable agricultural and production practices.
Holle pursues ethical and sustainable agricultural techniques and produces a high-quality product. This is partially thanks to adhering to rigorous requirements for organic foods in Europe in general and in Germany in particular.
EU Rules on Organic Foods
But what are those stringent requirements?
The European Union (EU) has a strong system for supervising organic production. It’s implemented through an annual inspection procedure. As a result, all products in compliance with every stringent requirement get an annual certificate.
While Holle headquarters are in Switzerland, their production facilities are based in Germany. Being the biggest market for organic products, Germany has the following rules on organic foods:
- Any use of synthetic chemicals or mineral fertilizers in farming is forbidden;
- No synthetic growth boosters;
- No antibiotics;
- Only organic feed for animals.
In general, at least 98% of end product weight must contain organic components.
Demeter certificate you can see on all Holle product labeling refers to biodynamic farming. This means ecologically friendly activities that adhere to very similar requirements as organic farming.
Is Holle farming and production really environmentally friendly?
Yes, it is. By employing strict closed-cycle farming practices, the company’s approaches prioritize sustainability. This means that everything (seeds, organic fertilizers, cattle fodder, etc.) is the product of the farm. This means better control over farming operations, less risk of outside interference, and less waste.
The formula’s components are 99% organic, with extra nutrients, including iron. As is often the case with European baby foods, Holle formulas come in the form of dry powder packaged in boxes. Just add lukewarm water and mix well to ensure a smooth texture without any lumps.
Stage 1 of the formula is for newborns from 0 to 6 months old. Holle Stage 2 is intended for babies from 6 to 12 months old. Holle formula Stage 3 is great for 1-year-olds and toddlers. If you’re searching for baby milk that’s similar to actual human milk, this might be the one for your kid.
- Based on organic ingredients from cows bred on biodynamic farms. Maltodextrin derived from organic sources provides vital fatty acids.
- The nutritional value of the formula is as similar to mother’s milk as possible. This makes it easy to switch from breastfeeding to bottle-feeding when you decide to wean.
- All-natural product with no synthetic additives.
- Offers products based on goat milk for babies with sensitive tummies.
Holle Formula Ingredients
- Parents who have certain concerns about maltodextrin as a component of baby formula, might not appreciate the fact it’s included in some Holle products. All formula stages also include palm oil.
- Ingredients you won’t find in any Holle milks are corn syrup and its products, synthetic additives of any kind, added sugars, GMOs.
Holle Formula Stage Differences
|Stage 1||Stage 2|
|Stage 2||Stage 3|
Pros & Cons
Holle is without a doubt one of the best organic formulas on the market, closely imitating the flavor and consistency of human milk. In case you need to switch to formula-feeding entirely, Holle will definitely ensure your baby gets all the important nutrients they need.
Compared to other brands, Holle might be slightly more expensive but the price difference hardly will be a deal-breaker.
All in all, Holle products might be quite similar to other formulas on the market. But you can’t deny that the presence of the goat milk alternative is a huge benefit.
It seems like its only major flaw is that you can’t buy Holle in American stores. Luckily, there are many places online you can order it from.