Salesforce Export Data: Hevo’s Guide For Beginners
For performing a holistic analysis data integration is really important. It plays an essential role when you have to move your data to a central location from different data sources.
Salesforce is a leading CRM (Customer Relationship Management) software. Salesforce is a cloud computing service as a software (SaaS) company.
It also provides applications focused on sales, marketing automation, application development, customer service, and analytics.
To connect better with customers, potential customers, and partners Salesforce provides businesses with cloud technology. The software helps businesses in tracking customer activity and also market to customers.
Making use of the Salesforce Export Data tool for extricating the required data to gain meaningful insights will prove to be very helpful in analysis and Market Strategy Generation.
In, this article we will learn about the different ways to perform Salesforce Export Data, copying salesforce data to google sheets, and some limitations of Salesforce Data Export Service.
Data Export Service In Salesforce
To export data from your Salesforce org Salesforce Data Export Service allows us to do that for backup purposes. You can export data through automatically scheduled exports or you can also do that manually.
You can also create backup files of your data either weekly or monthly based on your Salesforce edition. With the help of Salesforce Data Export Service, the data of your organization is exported into a set of comma-separated values (CSV) files of 150MB each and they are included in .zip files of approximately 512MB.
Various .zip files are generated if the exported data is substantially larger. Data export is used mainly for three important functions: backing up data, importing data to another system, and reporting.
Methods For Exporting Data In Salesforce
There are many ways in which you can export data from Salesforce org, including Salesforce native data export functionality and third-party data connectors. Some common methods to export data from Salesforce are mentioned below.
Data Export Wizard
It is a native Salesforce functionality, which is also known as Data Export Service and it permits you to execute scheduled or manual exporting of data on a weekly or monthly basis.
This method helps you to export your data in the form of CSV files after that it sends you an email with the link to download those zip files, once they are ready.
Using Hevo For Salesforce Export Data
Using Hevo can prove to be really beneficial for Salesforce Export Data, as you can execute a code-free, easy-to-use, data-integrated approach to export data in Salesforce.
Hevo provides you with a cloud-based ETL tool through which you can manage the loading of the data from cloud-based services to a variety of targeted databases. It also supports many rich transformation functions and also allows transformation without using any intermediate steps.
There are two simple steps to export data from Salesforce to a warehouse :
- Firstly, you need to connect to your Salesforce account using the Hevo platform and configure it as a source.
- Then, configure your data warehouse as a destination and start moving data instantly.
The application is developed by Salesforce and it needs to be installed separately. In Salesforce, Data Loader allows you to perform mass data operations, like import, export, and delete.
You can access the application either by generating a command line, which works only in windows, or through the UI. To automate the data export process, the command line can be used. It also integrates with another system through API.
Dataloader.io is a web-based application that allows you to import data in bulk and export that data in Salesforce. You can update, insert, delete your salesforce records, etc, with the help of Dataloader.io.
It also allows you to automate the process of data export on an hourly, weekly, daily, or monthly basis. After the process of the data export is completed you have to manually download the CSV file to your device.
Dataloader.io also allows you to write your own Salesforce Object Query Language (SOQL) query.
Limitations Of Salesforce Data Export Service
- It only allows you to extract data on a weekly on a monthly basis which means you can not extract data on an hourly or daily basis as a result of which you can potentially lose seven days worth of beneficial data.
- The process of exporting data becomes really time-consuming as we know, the data which is to be exported is compressed into zip files and the number of zip files depends on the amount of data you export. The more data you choose to export, the more zip files will be created and you have to manually download the files.
- Due to Salesforce traffic, the export can also be delayed. Despite the fact that we can schedule the export but we don’t have any control over it when it is executed. Also, you have to download the files within 48 hours after the export otherwise they will get deleted automatically.
- For creating backups of your data, Data export is really useful; however, it has certain disadvantages when it comes to data recovery or restoration. Salesforce Data Export doesn’t provide metadata backups. Metadata backups are important to keep in check that the data can be restored precisely.
This article gives an overview of Salesforce Export Data. It also explains various methods to export data in Salesforce, how to copy Salesforce data to google sheets, and also talks about some limitations of Salesforce Data Export Service.