All of us have experienced the feeling of being alone at some point of time in our life. However, there’s a marked difference between being alone and being lonely.
Being alone means there’s no significant other to wake up next to, whereas being lonely means even when we’re with other people’s company, we live perpetually in our own world, craving anything but our own company.
Being alone is something we do to fuel our soul and energize our life, while be lonely is living a life that disconnects us from others.
Reading quotes that express exactly what we feel, will make all of us more reflective and introspective human being. These being alone quotes inspire us and make us stronger.
1. “It’s far better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone — so far.”-Marilyn Monroe
2. “It’s often just enough to be with someone. I don’t need to touch them. Not even talk. A feeling passes between you both. You’re not alone.”-Marilyn Monroe
3. “I had already found that it was not good to be alone, and so made companionship with what there was around me, sometimes with the universe and sometimes with my own insignificant self; but my books were always my friends, let fail all else.”-Joshua Slocum
4. “We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and in spite of True Romance magazines, we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. I do not say lonely at least, not all the time but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes your self-respect so important, and I don’t see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.”-Hunter S. Thompson
5. “Therefore, dear Sir, love your solitude and try to sing out with the pain it causes you. For those who are near you are far away… and this shows that the space around you is beginning to grow vast…. be happy about your growth, in which of course you can’t take anyone with you, and be gentle with those who stay behind; be confident and calm in front of them and don’t torment them with your doubts and don’t frighten them with your faith or joy, which they wouldn’t be able to comprehend. Seek out some simple and true feeling of what you have in common with them, which doesn’t necessarily have to alter when you yourself change again and again; when you see them, love life in a form that is not your own and be indulgent toward those who are growing old, who are afraid of the aloneness that you trust…. and don’t expect any understanding; but believe in a love that is being stored up for you like an inheritance, and have faith that in this love there is a strength and a blessing so large that you can travel as far as you wish without having to step outside it.”-Rainer Maria Rilke
6. “Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.”-Anthony Burgess
7. “I think it’s good for a person to spend time alone. It gives them an opportunity to discover who they are and to figure out why they are always alone.”-Amy Sedaris
8. “All I wanted was to live a life where I could be me, and be okay with that. I had no need for material possessions, money or even close friends with me on my journey. I never understood people very well anyway, and they never seemed to understand me very well either. All I wanted was my art and the chance to be the creator of my own world, my own reality. I wanted the open road and new beginnings every day.”-Charlotte Eriksson
9. “And if you couldn’t be loved, the next best thing was to be let alone.”-L.M. Montgomery
10. “The trouble is not really in being alone, it’s being lonely. One can be lonely in the midst of a crowd, don’t you think?”-Christine Feehan
11. “If you learn to really sit with loneliness and embrace it for the gift that it is…an opportunity to get to know YOU, to learn how strong you really are, to depend on no one but YOU for your happiness…you will realize that a little loneliness goes a LONG way in creating a richer, deeper, more vibrant and colorful YOU.”-Mandy Hale
12. “He succeeded in being considered totally uninteresting. People left him alone. And that was all he wanted.”-Patrick Süskind
13. “Pointing to another world will never stop vice among us; shedding light over this world can alone help us.”-Walt Whitman
14. “But she wasn’t around, and that’s the thing when your parents die, you feel like instead of going in to every fight with backup, you are going into every fight alone.”-Mitch Albom
15. “Sometimes life is too hard to be alone, and sometimes life is too good to be alone.”-Elizabeth Gilbert
16. “Alone, I often fall down into nothingness. I must push my foot stealthily lest I should fall off the edge of the world into nothingness. I have to bang my head against some hard door to call myself back to the body.”-Virginia Woolf
17. “if you wanted to do something absolutely honest, something true, it always turned out to be a thing that had to be done alone.”-Richard Yates
18. “If a man cannot understand the beauty of life, it is probably because life never understood the beauty in him.”-Criss Jami
19. “Learn this now and learn it well. Like a compass facing north, a man’s accusing finger always finds a woman. Always. You remember that, Mariam.”-Khaled Hosseini
20. “I felt her absence. it was like waking up one day with no teeth in your mouth. You wouldn’t need to run to the mirror to know they were gone”-James Dashner
21. “And the danger is that in this move toward new horizons and far directions, that I may lose what I have now, and not find anything except loneliness.”-Sylvia Plath
22. “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.”-Gautama Buddha
23. “The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration.”-Pearl S. Buck
24. “People who do a job that claims to be creative have to be alone to recharge their batteries. You can’t live 24 hours a day in the spotlight and remain creative. For people like me, solitude is a victory.”-Karl Lagerfeld