Installing Let’s Encrypt in GoDaddy with an online tool called Zerossl is super easy and time saving too. This will work on both GoDaddy or any other hosting provider Hostgator or CPanel.
Here you will also be shown how to redirect users from HTTP to HTTPS and this will be done only through few simple lines of coding. You don’t require an extensive knowledge of coding or any specific coding skills for the same.
1. Understanding Let’s Encrypt
Let’s Encrypt is better known as the free SSL certificate provider as well as verifier. This is gradually becoming quite popular among the small website owners and even NASA is also using the same for it’s small websites. Thus, this is 100% safe and recommended to be used.
One of the biggest con with let’s Encrypt is that you need to renew it every 90 days. There is also an automatic way to continue with the renewal process and that is through setup Certbot. But this is not something which can easily be done by beginners. For this step you require the knowledge of an expertise and thus the same will be covered in the following steps.
2. Installing Let’s Encrypt In GoDaddy Or Cpanel
This is especially for people who want to earn a free SSL certificate by using shared wen hosting using zerossl.com installation tool. Here we are covering an example of letsencrypt on GoDaddy shared hosting. And this will definitely work across most of the service providers. Let’s have a look at the below given steps :
- Log in to Zerossl.com
- Click on the online tools available
- Under the “Free SSL certificate wizard”, click on the START icon.
- Under the right hand section, you will come across a tab called as “Domains”. At this place you can add your domain or include mydomain.com or www.mydomain.com. Additional Tip : In case it is a sub domain just like blog.mydomain.com then you will need to do the above steps separately. So, repeat all the above steps just for a subdomain and then include blog.mydomain.com under the domain section. Here you don’t need to include www.blog.mydomain.com.
- Here you need to accept the zerossl TOS and then encrypt SA by adding check marks.
- Now, you need to hit the next button which is seen in the top right corner of the screen.
- Finally, zerossl will generate the CSR(Certificate signing request). Now, the loading here might take some time so you need to be patient here.
- Once the above step is completed go ahead and click on the download tab and then to have a backup, click on the next tab.
- Next, the account key generation will start within few minutes only.
- Now, download the account key and then click on next button
- A new page appears. This is when Letsencrypt will know that you own the domain.
- Download the two different txt files.
- Head to the Cpanel and click on “File manager” and proceed to your next folder. Additional Tips : in case you are doing this for an addon domain, then you need to go to the root of the domain. So, in case your index is index.html or index.php then that is your domain too.
- At the root place, you need to create a new folder here which is well known and inside this you will come across many acme challenges as well.
- Now, here you need to upload the two .txt files into the acme challenge folder.
- Again go back to zerossl and then click on the link that was given in the screenshot.
- If it returns with numbers and characters, then good luck. You have done everything correctly and thus you can move ahead now.
- You need to click here on the next tab.
- Finally, your certificate is ready. Just scroll down and then download the CRT and private key.
- Go to the CPanel and find SSL or TSL and then click on it.
- Then click on the manage SSL on your own site and then you will come across three threads.
- Select the domain where you want to install the SSL certificate on.
- As far as other fields are concerned, you need to go back to the zerossl and here begin by copying the CRT and then paste it onto the CRT field at the CPanel. Here, the important point to be noted is that CRT includes both CRT and certificate authority bundle.
- You need to cut out the certificate authority bundle from CRT and the finally paste in on to the 3rd field.
- Go to zerossl and then copy the private key.
- In the Cpanel paste the private key in the second field.
- Ideally there should be three green check marks next to the fields, which means everything matches here.
- You will find a install certificate tab at the bottom of the page.
- Finally, your SSL certificate is installed and you must have got the https tag. Now, you can test the same by adding https in front of your domain name to check if the same is working or not.
- You will also find the greenpadlock in front of your URL. In case you find that the padlock has yellow batches then there might be some issue.
3. How To Use Free Temporary Standard SSL
Premium extended validation have an extensive vetting process whereas standard SSL can be both vetted and assessed pretty quickly. But in case you are using free standard SSL to secure your website then it’s ok else in the case of premium extended SSL, you need to wait for some time before it gets vetted.
Using Free Temporary Standard SSL
- Begin by requesting for the premium EV SSL.
- Now, return back to your account again and request for the standard SSL
- Keep checking your mail regularly. Make sure that you have mentioned an active email address only. Authorization request is always send to the administrative contact of your domain name. you must follow the instructions in order to verify standard SSL.
- In case your standard SSL certificate has been issued and vetted, you need to do the following
- In case you have selected web hosting, grid hosting, website builder, quick shopping cart or dream web site and if you have requested your renewal then we ask you to automatically install your certificate.
- In case you have selected any third party or dedicated server or a virtual private server without simple control panel keep regularly checking your email for any further information. You might get a renewed certificate from your server here. You need to download here and install both the certificate files.
- Now, when your premium EV SSL is vetted as well as issued, then you need to install and overwrite the standard SSL. Here you don’t need to uninstall or cancel the standard SSL. You can simply override them and then it’s done.
When the premium EV SSL is downloaded and installed then the standard SSL automatically gets deleted from the account. And at the end when your premium EV SSL certificate is not issued then the standard SSL will automatically get renewed and it will start working and performing it’s job.