For couples, texting is a great way to stay in touch with each other. It allows each partner to feel the warmth of the relationship, even when they are living miles apart. Texting is also good for long-distance couples, as it can save such relationships from falling apart. However, you need safe and secure private messaging apps to have a special way to communicate with your partner.
Have a look at the 15 best most Secure Private Messaging apps couples can use in 2021.
Millions of people use Signal every day for free and instantaneous communication anywhere in the world. Send and receive high-fidelity messages, participate in HD voice/video calls, and explore a growing set of new features that help you stay connected. Signal’s advanced privacy-preserving technology is always enabled, so you can focus on sharing the moments that matter with the people who matter to you.
- Go fast – Messages are delivered quickly and reliably, even on slow networks. Signal is optimized to operate in the most constrained environment possible.
- Feel free – Signal is a completely independent 501c3 nonprofit. Development is supported by users like you. No advertisements. No trackers. No kidding.
- Be yourself – You can use your existing phone number and address book to securely communicate with your friends.
- Speak up – Whether they live across town or across the ocean, Signal’s enhanced audio and video quality will make your friends and family feel closer.
Love the app! However, there seems to be a recurring issue. When I first got signal in January, it wouldn’t always show that I had unread messages. I wouldn’t know until I opened the app, and I would have messages from 7 hours earlier. Then it was fixed, along with their missing calls notifications.
2. Wickr Me
With Wickr Me, you can instantly connect with your friends 1:1 or in groups – now with fully encrypted voice calling, voice memos – new additions to the trusted end-to-end secure sharing of files, images, and videos. Take full control over who has access to your content and how long it remains accessible.
Users Trust Wickr Me for Their Most Critical Communications:
On Privacy & Security:
- Every message is encrypted with a new key using advanced vetted end-to-end encryption. Wickr never has access to your messages or your contact list.
- No phone number or email address is required to register on Wickr Me. Your address book remains private and is not stored on our servers.
- Wickr does not store any metadata associated with your communications.
- Wickr’s code, policies, and security practices have been verified by the most respected security research teams in the industry.
- Communicate in private groups of up to 10 users.
- Shredder – Overwrites all deleted Wickr content on your device.
I like Wickr and have been using it for a long time. I trust it to be privacy-respecting solution in its own bounds. However the UX could definitely get some improvements. They do not need to be innovative, maybe Signal/Telegram alike: bigger font size, reply swipe, bigger distance between the sender/recipient boxes. UX (visual design) feature parity and it will be the best of both worlds (privacy and usability).
Threema is a paid open-source end-to-end encrypted instant messaging application for iOS and Android. The software is based on privacy by design principles as it does not require a phone number or any other personally identifiable information. This helps anonymize the users to a degree.
In addition to text messaging, users can make voice and video calls, send multimedia, locations, voice messages, and files. A web app version, Threema Web, can be used on desktop devices, but only as long as the phone with the Threema installation of the user is online.
Telegram is a freeware, cross-platform, cloud-based instant messaging (IM) software and application service. The service also provides end-to-end encrypted video calling, VoIP, file sharing and several other features.
Telegram provides end-to-end encrypted voice and video calls and optional end-to-end encrypted “secret” chats. Cloud chats and groups are encrypted between the app and the server, so that ISPs and other third-parties on the network can’t access data, but the Telegram server can. Users can send text and voice messages, animated stickers, make voice and video calls, and share an unlimited number of images, documents (2 GB per file), user locations, contacts, and audio files. In January 2021, Telegram surpassed 500 million monthly active users.
Been using this app for years now, and it’s easily my favorite messaging app period. Consistent updates and improvements, amazing animations, and it runs so smoothly. Features I would like to see come to telegram: (1) the ability to set your “status” rather than just blocking people from seeing if you’re online. (2) some kind of “story” or “fleets” feature. I actually really enjoy it on other apps and I think this app could benefit from it.
Session is a new breed of encrypted private messenger, built on a unique network of user-operated servers spread all over the world. With no central servers, Session can’t leak or sell your data. You don’t need a phone number or email to sign up — your Session ID can stay completely anonymous. And Session’s private routing protocols keep your messages secret and secure. No one ever knows who you’re talking to, what you’re saying, or even your IP address.
- Fully anonymous account creation, no phone number or email required.
- Decentralised server network: No data breaches and no central point of failure.
- No metadata logging: Session doesn’t store, track, or log your messaging metadata.
- IP address protection: Device IP addresses are never exposed to the person you’re talking to or the servers holding your data.
- Closed groups: Private, end-to-end encrypted group chats for up to 100 people.
- Encrypted attachments: Share voice snippets, photos, and files with Session’s security and privacy protections
Encrypted messaging app, super simple & actually doesn’t collect anything from your phone, gives you security tips about turning certain settings off/on. Real-time view of how your data go through several nodes for more security. Works with QR codes and URL & not with contact NO.
Wire is the most secure collaboration platform. It increases the productivity in your team while keeping your information private. Wire allows your team to communicate and share information easily and securely – messages, files, conference calls or private conversations – always in context.
- Communicate with your teams through private or group conversations
- Share and collaborate with files, documents, links with reactions
- Press the one-click conference call button and your voice or video meetings starts on time
- Invite partners, customers and suppliers to collaborate through the unique guest rooms.
- Increase privacy through ephemeral messages and device fingerprinting.
- Integrate Wire with your corporate applications and services.
- Recognized by IDC as industry leading security and privacy approach through Open Source, end to end encryption, forward secrecy and public audits
You have given me a way to video call my son when I’m away from him without him needing his own phone number (he is 4 lol). For the simple reason of making it so easy to chat with my boy while every other app needed to be synced to a phone number…. you get 5 stars.
Viber is the FREE, simple, fast and most secure messaging and calling app. The messenger of choice for over 1 billion users worldwide! Text now for free and make high-quality crystal-clear phone calls.
Viber is completely free. All you need is a data plan or Wi-Fi connection and you’re good to go. Make free international calls, send text messages, open a group chat, and so much more! Download Viber today to connect with people, no matter who they are, or where they are from.
With Viber you will have access to unlimited calls, endless texting and high quality video chat!
Viber was really great app when they provided the “secret chat”& after the new update viber decided to provide a new update called “disappearing message”. This new update doesn’t work well, when the disappearing timer is set others can’t take screen shots as it should&if they do the app says someone took
Mattermost is an open-source, self-hostable online chat service with file sharing, search, and integrations. It is designed as an internal chat for organisations and companies, and mostly markets itself as an open-source alternative to Slack and Microsoft Teams.
Mattermost is the leading open source collaboration platform with a thriving community. It’s written in Golang and React and runs as a single Linux binary with MySQL or PostgreSQL. Use the features you like, for example, file sharing, real-time group chat, and webhooks, with full access to source code.
I just love mattermost. I can talk to all my coworkers and communicate, but not just communicate. Really actually communicate! Love that, saves a lot of time and renders it possible to always be on the same page. Also emotes.
Snapchat is an American multimedia messaging app developed by Snap Inc., originally Snapchat Inc. One of the principal features of Snapchat is that pictures and messages are usually only available for a short time before they become inaccessible to their recipients. The app has evolved from originally focusing on person-to-person photo sharing to presently featuring users’ “Stories” of 24 hours of chronological content, along with “Discover,” letting brands show ad-supported short-form content. It also allows users to keep photos in the “my eyes only” which lets them keep their photos in a password-protected space. It has also reportedly incorporated limited use of end-to-end encryption, with plans to broaden its use in the future.
Ever since the new update, there’s been a notification saying “updating messages.” It’s killing my battery and I only have 3 conversations total! I was going to report it as a bug in the app itself but there’s no option for syncing or messages. I don’t want to have to keep signing out to get the notification to go away. I used to be able to use more filters on animals as well but now I can’t. Update 5/3/2021: my notifications no longer say it’s updating messages.
DUST gives you control over your digital life. Only you should control what is known about you. Its users are protected—free from worry of prying eyes, data mining, sketchy hackers, and the paranoia that your words could come back to haunt you—freedom for everything that makes you, YOU.
For everyday texting and sharing photos with friends, family and colleagues, or exchanging more sensitive information such as credit cards, social security numbers, bank information, wire transfer instructions, passwords, or medical records – DUST is the most secure private texting & messaging application.
I love that there are no ads and it encrypts my messages.
WhatsApp Messenger, or simply WhatsApp, is an American freeware, cross-platform centralized messaging and voice-over-IP (VoIP) service owned by Facebook, Inc. It allows users to send text messages and voice messages, make voice and video calls, and share images, documents, user locations, and other content. WhatsApp’s client application runs on mobile devices but is also accessible from desktop computers, as long as the user’s mobile device remains connected to the Internet while they use the desktop app.
WhatsApp is Awesome. But it’s really hard to find the right stickers for the right mood or emotion cuz they’re just all over the place. I wish the app had pre-arranged stickers for every mood then a different folder for saved stickers from friends. I think it’ll be easier that way.
LINE is a freeware app for instant communications on electronic devices such as smartphones, tablet computers, and personal computers. LINE users exchange texts, images, video and audio, and conduct free VoIP conversations and video conferences. In addition, LINE is a platform providing various services including digital wallet as LINE Pay, news stream as LINE Today, video on demand as LINE TV, and digital comic distribution as LINE Manga and LINE Webtoon.
All functions are good. Have been happy and fun using Line chat and call. While Line Today provides good updates and news, some irrelevant ads popped up( Lazada Thailand to be specific) It’s just so irritating I decided not to read news update in Line today as much as I did. Pls find balance of pop-up ads. I’ll probably uninstall Lazada to see if the ads stop showing up.
Hike Messenger, also called Hike Sticker Chat, was an Indian freeware, cross-platform instant messaging (IM), Voice over IP (VoIP) application which was launched on 12 December 2012 by Kavin Bharti Mittal and is now owned by Hike Private Limited. Hike can work offline through SMS and has multi-platform support. The app registration uses standard one time password (OTP) based authentication process. With abundance of low-cost data, Hike decided to go from a single super app strategy to multiple app approach, so that it can focus more on the core messaging capabilities. It has numerous Hikemoji Stickers which can be customized accordingly.
I am glad they gave a way to use the stickers elsewhere, after shutting the app. Obv, it helps them with branding,but it must mean a lot to long time users, to be able to use the stickers. These stickers are very expressive, since they were made before GIF were popular. To be able to express the emotion so visually is a skill that speaks well about the design teams involved.
Voxer Walkie Talkie is a free app that combines the best of Live Voice, text, photos, and videos into a powerful secure messaging tool. Voxer is the only walkie talkie messenger with end-to-end encryption.
Why millions of people choose Voxer:
- Live Audio – Instantly communicate with live voice, just like a walkie-talkie or push-to-talk (PTT) device.
- Listen Later – Not available to chat live? All messages are saved for later playback, saving or sharing.
- Private Chats – Send end-to-end encrypted messages – only you and the other party on the chat can read or hear messages. No one else.
- Photos, Videos and GIFs – Send text, photos, videos, and gifs. Share location and Dropbox files.
- Free – Voxer is free to download and use.
- Group Chats – Create chats with up to 500 individuals or team contacts.
- Pick Your Device – Get messages on your Android devices and other smartphones. Voxer syncs seamlessly across all your devices.
Love the convenience of the app, but it needs a LOT of improvements. Notifications don’t always work. When in a group chat someone @ you it doesn’t notify me with a separate notification so I know there is a message directed at me. It’s so frustrating to scroll back when you have missed messages in a group chat. It keeps saying that you have a number of unheard messages even if you have scrolled over the messages. The only upside of this app is that it doesn’t show your phone number
With Smiley Private Texting – protecting your privacy online is easy. Text anyone with a real new second number. Using Smiley Private Texting is simple.
- Just install and open the app, no signup is required
- Enter a number you would like to text
- Send as many texts as you want. your contact will see them come from your new number
- When your contact replies you will get their message delivered to the app for free
The best way to protect your privacy and send anonymous SMS texts on Android.
I have been very pleased with this App which is extremely simple to use and does exactly what it says on the tin!! I have only used it for several days but have experienced no problems with it at all. I would recommend it without hesitation to anyone looking for an app of this type.