1. “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”-Neil Gaiman
2. “Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn’t it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up.”-Neil Gaiman
3. “I’ve been making a list of the things they don’t teach you at school. They don’t teach you how to love somebody. They don’t teach you how to be famous. They don’t teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don’t teach you how to walk away from someone you don’t love any longer.
They don’t teach you how to know what’s going on in someone else’s mind. They don’t teach you what to say to someone who’s dying. They don’t teach you anything worth knowing.”-Neil Gaiman
4. “Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.”-Neil Gaiman
5. “May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you’re wonderful, and don’t forget to make some art — write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.”-Neil Gaiman
6. “I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes…you’re Doing Something.”-Neil Gaiman
7. “Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn’t it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up.
You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life…You give them a piece of you.
They didn’t ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn’t your own anymore.
Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like ‘maybe we should be just friends’ turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It’s a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love.”-Neil Gaiman
8. “Life is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal.”-Neil Gaiman
9. “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. I mean everybody. All of the people in the whole world, I mean everybody ” no matter how dull and boring they are on the outside. Inside them they’ve all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds… Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe.”-Neil Gaiman
10. “What I say is, a town isn’t a town without a bookstore. It may call itself a town, but unless it’s got a bookstore, it knows it’s not fooling a soul.”-Neil Gaiman
11. “People think dreams aren’t real just because they aren’t made of matter, of particles. Dreams are real. But they are made of viewpoints, of images, of memories and puns and lost hopes.”-Neil Gaiman
12. “Stories may well be lies, but they are good lies that say true things, and which can sometimes pay the rent.”-Neil Gaiman
13. “There are so many fragile things, after all. People break so easily, and so do dreams and hearts.”-Neil Gaiman
14. “When I was a child, adults would tell me not to make things up, warning me of what would happen if I did. As far as I can tell so far, it seems to involve lots of foreign travel and not having to get up too early in the morning.”-Neil Gaiman
15. “Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked. This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men.”-Neil Gaiman
16. “She seems so cool, so focused, so quiet, yet her eyes remain fixed upon the horizon. You think you know all there is to know about her immediately upon meeting her, but everything you think you know is wrong. Passion flows through her like a river of blood.
17. “She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.”-Neil Gaiman
18. “Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”-Neil Gaiman
19. “Being a writer is a very peculiar sort of a job: it’s always you versus a blank sheet of paper (or a blank screen) and quite often the blank piece of paper wins.”-Neil Gaiman
20. “[D]on’t ever apologise to an author for buying something in paperback, or taking it out from a library (that’s what they’re there for. Use your library). Don’t apologise to this author for buying books second hand, or getting them from bookcrossing or borrowing a friend’s copy.
What’s important to me is that people read the books and enjoy them, and that, at some point in there, the book was bought by someone. And that people who like things, tell other people. The most important thing is that people read…”-Neil Gaiman
21. “Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot.”-Neil Gaiman
22. “I hope you will have a wonderful year, that you’ll dream dangerously and outrageously, that you’ll make something that didn’t exist before you made it, that you will be loved and that you will be liked, and that you will have people to love and to like in return.
And, most importantly (because I think there should be more kindness and more wisdom in the world right now), that you will, when you need to be, be wise, and that you will always be kind.”-Neil Gaiman
23. “This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until its done. It’s that easy, and that hard.”-Neil Gaiman
24. “I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.
25. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You’re doing things you’ve never done before, and more importantly, you’re Doing Something.
So that’s my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody’s ever made before. Don’t freeze, don’t stop, don’t worry that it isn’t good enough, or it isn’t perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.
Whatever it is you’re scared of doing, Do it.Make your mistakes, next year and forever.”-Neil Gaiman
26. “Grown-ups don’t look like grown-ups on the inside either. Outside, they’re big and thoughtless and they always know what they’re doing. Inside, they look just like they always have. Like they did when they were your age. Truth is, there aren’t any grown-ups. Not one, in the whole wide world.”-Neil Gaiman
27. “You get what anybody gets – you get a lifetime.”-Neil Gaiman
28.“Stories you read when you’re the right age never quite leave you. You may forget who wrote them or what the story was called. Sometimes you’ll forget precisely what happened, but if a story touches you it will stay with you, haunting the places in your mind that you rarely ever visit.”-Neil Gaiman
29. “I was kidnapped by aliens, they came down from outer space with ray guns, but I fooled them by wearing a wig and laughing in a foreign accent, and I escaped.”-Neil Gaiman
30.“I felt very much like a hooker who had just been told she was a lady of the evening.”-Neil Gaiman
31. “The cartoon me writes the books cartoon people read in the cartoon world, because they need things to read there too.”-Neil Gaiman