In one of its biggest advertising deals to date, Twitter has struck a deal with media agency Starcom MediaVest Group (SMG). The financial details of the deal were not disclosed.
The deal is seen as a part of strategy to turn the social media company into a serious platform for brands.
The deal will give SMG’s clients access to special advertising slots and opportunities with Twitter, while Twitter will leverage both to provide research and insight on how consumers are using the social network and how that engagement with TV and Twitter generates insight to marketing to consumers across the marketing ecosystem.
- Twitter also will provide custom research to SMG for the agency to give its clients for best practices about how to integrate Twitter and TV strategy;
- Twitter and SMG also plan to create a “social TV lab” to better understand how marketers can use social media for ad campaigns that influence what people watch on TV.
Focus On Monetization
Recently, Twitter has unveiled many products which seem to indicate the company is focusing on monetization:
- It has launched keyword ad targeting, Twitter #Music and a new video-sharing service, Vine;
- In February this year, it released API for brands;
- Currently, it is in talks with TV networks to bring more video content and advertising to the service.